Theology and Race – Part 1
Theology and Race – Part 2
We are grieving the unjust loss of life in recent days. We have witnessed the deaths of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery. These senseless deaths show the racism that continues to plague our nation. As we process these events together, we have recorded and released a series of community conversations to help us listen and learn as people of the Kingdom.
This four-part community conversation discusses:
- Kingdom Leadership (originally released June 8 at 11 a.m.)
- Theology and Race Part 1 (originally released June 10 at 11 a.m.)
- Theology and Race Part 2 (originally released June 12 at 11 a.m.)
- Church Leadership (originally released June 15 at 11 a.m.)
Please join us as we listen to Rev. Donna Covington, Vice President of Formation, lead a series of conversations with Dr. Timothy C. Tennent, the faculty, and Board of Trustee members, about these important topics. Let’s listen and learn.
- Martin Luther King at Stanford University “The Other America”
- Lecrae’s Interview with Gabe Lyons
- Reading Response (Worship) in light of George Floyd’s murder, Imago Dei Community
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man
- A New Song of Lament, Urbon Doxology
- Sermon: Reconciliation for Such a Time as This
- Bible Study with Dr. John Perkins and Bryan Stevenson, Recorded Zoom
- Your Black Colleagues May Look Like They’re Okay — Chances Are They’re Not
- A Soul Check for White Christians
- Bryan Stevenson on the Frustration Behind the George Floyd Protests
- The World Is Moving on From the Case of Ahmaud Arbery. Will We?
- The Friend We Need, but Do Not Want: Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Reflections on Race, Riots, and Police
Poetry: For One Who Holds Power
May the gift of leadership awaken in you as a vocation,
Keep you mindful of the providence that calls you to serve.
As high over the mountains the eagle spreads its wings,
May your perspective be larger than the view from the foothills.
When the way is flat and dull in times of gray endurance,
May your imagination continue to evoke horizons.
When thirst burns in times of drought,
May you be blessed to find the wells.
May you have the wisdom to read time clearly
And know when the seed of change will flourish.
In your heart may there be a sanctuary
For the stillness where clarity is born.
May your work be infused with passion and creativity
And have the wisdom to balance compassion and challenge.
May your soul find the graciousness
To rise above the fester of small mediocrities.
May your power never become a shell
Wherein your heart would silently atrophy.
May you welcome your own vulnerability
As the ground where healing and truth join.
May integrity of soul be your first ideal,
The source that will guide and bless your work.
A Primer for Prayers of Justice (Downloadable Link)